I was given a bunch of these when Layna was born. I tried them… and I didn’t like them. She always seemed to have a leg, or two, sticking out, which to me, seemed to defeat the purpose of having PJ’s on.
My daughter Macie has a friend who is expecting and I wanted to pass Layna’s outgrown clothes on to her new baby. This was the whole reason for cleaning the closet in the first place. In the midst of the closet purge I found a stack of these little gowns. Most of them had not even been worn yet. I was reminded of the reason they went into the box to begin with. I was in the mode of finding things to up-cycle and was determined to salvage as much as I could, after all, baby clothes are expensive. Especially if you only get a few weeks wear out of them. I looked at these “wasted” gowns and wondered what I could do with them.
Then it hit me…like a ton of bricks.
I measured out a good shirt length, about 11 inches, and made the cut!
The next step was to decide on sleeves…regular or cap sleeves. the cap sleeve won!
I cut at an angle starting 1/2 inch away from the underarm seam.
Since this is a knit, the easiest finish is a lettuce-type hem. This is the easiest thing ever, not to mention super cute!
I set my machine to a short length, medium width zig-zag… and pulled tight! Remember to keep the fabric stretched tight and even, as it goes through the machine. This is what helps make it really wavy. I hold the fabric tight in both the front and back of the needle.
And here it is… baby gown turned cute skirt and shirt! I wish I had done this with all of them sooner!